is Hub of Heritage Center
Once a classic farm of the New Richmond area, its land now hosts a housing development, an industrial park, and the sweep of a schoolyard. You can move on from the original Farmstead setting to other historic buildings.
These combine to give a "feel" for life in the 1800's and more. The farmstead core of Victorian house and granary, both built in 1884, and barn, rebuilt in 1916, are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
In nearly one hundred years only two families have lived in the house. The original family was that of Marcus and Kathryn Bell, and from 1910, that of Ed and Catherine Tierney. In 1982, after estate settlement, development of the property into a complex of historic buildings began.
The Farmhouse is available for rental. Click here for more information.
The Emmanuel Evangelical Lutheran Church, built in 1891 in Superior, is a typical 18th century rural church.
In early pioneer communities, a church and school were the next buildings built after the home cabins and barns. Walk the grounds as you wish: all the buildings have mini-histories posted outside. Or, stop at the Northside House office and ask for a fee-guided tour which includes inside the buildings. Turn the kids loose to wear off some energy on the 11-acre Paperjack Greenway trails. Visit and enjoy. You are so welcome.
The Church is available for rental. Click here for more information.
Now used for the Heritage Center blacksmith and carpenter tool collections, the barn was originally one of the outbuildings of a farm east of New Richmond. Blacksmith and woodworking shops were some of a pioneer village's first businesses.
Camp 9 School
Originally sited near Glenwood City, it was built in 1902 to serve the children of logging Camp Nine. This one-room school is paired with one of its old outhouses.
Built in 1933, it was the center of the tiny town of Ubet. The wainscoting interior is original, as is the painted shelving which is stocked with what a general store would have sold to the rural community of the time.
This small building, built by immigrants in 1887 in Reeve, served other immigrants, too, as a lodging until they could build their own.
As the family grew, the house grew, too, built in two sections in 1890 and 1894. Hard-working Scandinavians lived on the "northside" of New Richmond and kept the flour and saw mills running. Heritage Center's office is here. Display rooms feature original owner's furnishings.
A "new" building designed to look like an "old" farm machine shed, the Pavilion serves a dual purpose as meeting place and permanent display room. Farm tools and machinery line the walls and there is a permanent display of the June 12, 1899 cyclone that leveled New Richmond (still listed as Wisconsin's worst tornado and one of the top 10 most deadly tornadoes in United States).
The Pavilion is available for rental. Click here for more information.
The interior of this new building houses a combination of communications and transportation artifacts and memorabilia the museum has collected.
Opening in Fall 2021: U.S. Marshal's Office
1100 Heritage Drive
New Richmond, WI 54017
© COPYRIGHT 2017. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.