Artifact & Archival Gifts for 2016
Each year the New Richmond Heritage Center gratefully accepts gifts from many people to add to the collection of artifacts (objects) and archival items (a variety of manuscripts and documents. These go through an accession process of being given a museum number, described and entered on the computer system, along with the name of the donor. Following are a few of the items that were accepted and processed this past year to add to the approximately 25,000 items already on hand in the various Center buildings.
Paul & Vicki Mayer - (Note that the following is just a small sample of the multiple donations given by the Mayers in 2016 and each year previous.) Medicine bottle from the Sherman Drug Store, one that was in business for many years on “Main Street.” 1955 calling card from Cloutier’s Tavern. Two tokens advertising Mike’s Place and the 1955 New Richmond Centennial. Four wooden hangers from the 1900s. Souvenir plate with photo of 1905 school.
Kathryn Greaton Wohlbier - Double Bell Eupho- nium, an instrument played by her grandfather Wilson Greaton in many events in early years. Wilson’s band was very popular.
Kurt Sroka - 75 lb. foundry anvil.
Chuck & Anne Mehls - U.S. Army 1910s folding medical stretcher. Medical instrument case with field medical supplies as carried by medics in the 1950s Korean War.
Bob Groth - Early cordless phone previous to the 1990s.
Jeffrey Wagner - Jeffrey lives in Chicago and has sent us numerous artifacts and archival items from his grandmother’s McHenry family which owned a farm a few miles south of New Richmond. In 2016 we have received, among other items, photos and postcards, his grandfather’s cartridge belt, his grandmother’s housecoat, and the McHenry silver chest. Jeffrey’s grandmother and one of her sisters graduated from Stout State University in 1916, which was a significant achievement for young women in those years.
John A. Goodlad - Pony Saddle from 1927.
Steve Young - Handmade school podium.
John Helling - Mudboard, hand carved out of a log, used for mixing mortar for laying bricks.
Karen Greaton - Photographs of the Greaton Jewelry Store.
Victor Martinson - 1940s timer used by telephone operators to time long distance calls.